Unique Ways To Remember Your Loved Ones
When someone we love dies, it feels like a part of our own selves has been torn away. We may feel lost, confused, and alone. It can be difficult to know how to cope with such a profound loss. One way to help remember our loved ones and keep them close to our hearts is to commemorate their death anniversary in special ways. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Dedicate a special space in your home to your loved one. This could be a corner of the living room, bedroom, or garden. Simply decorate the space with photos, mementos, and any other items that remind you of your loved one. Spend time in this space each day, reflecting on cherished memories and moments shared with your loved one.
2. Host a special event or gathering on the anniversary of your loved one’s death. This could be a small get-together with friends and family, or something larger like a memorial service or celebration of life ceremony. If hosting an event seems like too much work, consider sending out invitations to friends and family members to share stories and recollections about your loved one online or in person.
3. Write a letter to your loved one on the anniversary of their death. This could be a handwritten letter or an email/blog post/message on social media. In the letter, share your thoughts and feelings about the past year without them. Tell them about all the things you’ve been up to, what you’re looking forward to in the future, and what their presence still means to you. Don’t forget to include any favorite memories or quotes from them!
4. Make a donation in your loved one’s name on the anniversary of their death. There are many charities and causes that are important to your loved one, so find one that aligns with their values and donate in their memory. Not only will this help support a good cause, but it will also help keep your loved one’s memory alive by raising awareness for their chosen cause.
5. Plant a tree or garden in remembrance of your loved one on the anniversary of their death. This is a beautiful way to create a physical reminder of your loved one that will grow and change over time. You could also plant flowers or herbs which have special meanings related to your loved one (e.g., forget-me-nots for remembrance).
6. Take part in a local charity or fundraising event on the anniversary of your loved one’s death. There are likely many causes near and dear to your loved one’s heart which could use your support. Find an event that aligns with these causes and take part in honor of your loved one – this is a great way not only to remember them, but also to make meaningful contributions in their name after they’ve passed away.
7. Make a donation in memory of your loved one on an online fundraising platform like JustGiving or GoFundMe . There are many individuals and families who are dealing with difficult times and illnesses who could use extra support financially – making a donation in memory of your loved one is a great way to provide this support while also keeping their memory alive.
8 . Light a candle in remembrance of your loved one on the anniversary of their death . This is a simple but poignant way to remember them each year. You could light the candle at home, at their gravesite, or anywhere else that feels significant to you both.
9. Have your loved one's photo, handwriting or fingerprint engraved onto a unique piece of jewellery to wear close to your heart every day.
Gemz By Emz specialise in creating engraved memorial jewellery personalised with photos, handwriting, paw prints and much more. many of our customers have informed us that our memorial jewellery has brought them great comfort during such a difficult time in their life.
Have a read of our other blog post: How to remember loved ones on your wedding day.